Maternal Physical Exam for the Student Midwife, Part I
This Two-Disc DVD set includes step by step instruction by Licensed and Registered Midwives of over 20 aspects of the maternal physical examination, including: palpation of the thyroid, lymph nodes, breasts, and abdomen as well as the exams of the heart, lungs, extremities, and head. You will learn how to set up your equipment and become knowledgeable in Leopold’s maneuvers, fundal height measurement, correct procedure for taking fetal heart tones!
This DVD set has original colorful illustrations of obstetrical anatomy and detailed descriptions by the various instructors of the pertinent information with live demonstrations and examples on pregnant women in a midwifery clinic! This also includes role play that illustrates to the student midwife skills such as, communicating with the client in a way that reflects informed choice and other aspects of the midwifery model of care. It is a comprehensive learning tool for students who are beginning or CPM's who want to brush up on the details of the maternal physical examination.
Disc 1: 2 hours, 17 minutes
Disc 2: 1 hour, 40 minutes
DVD’s are in NTSC format (playable in the US, Canada, and other countries).
Introduction - Why the physical exam, establishing a baseline & supplies
1) General Appearance
2) Blood Draw
4) Temperature - mercury, digital, handheld
5) Maternal Pulse - Radial, Carotid, Apical
6) Blood Pressure
7) Head Exam - Facial/neck lymph nodes, Mouth/Throat
8) Thyroid Exam
9) Eye Exam
10) Ear Exam
11) Nose/Sinus Exam
12) Breast/Lymph Exam - Self Breast Exam
13) Heart Exam
14) Lung Exam
15) Abdominal Exam - Liver, Spleen, Bowels
16) DVAT (Costal VErtebral Angle Tenderness)
18) Upper & Lower extremities - Varicosities, Edema, Pitting
22) Leopold's Maneuvers
23) Fetal Heart Tones - Doppler, Fetascope, Pinard Horn
24) Fundal Height Measurement
25) Digital Exam - vaginal wall strength
26) Bimanual Exam
27) Inguinal Nodes
28) Live Examples of Maternal Exams in a Prenatel Clinic
29) Live Birth - Home VBAC
Featuring instruction by: Charlene Campbell, BSM, MSM, LM, CPM.
View video samples below.